Friday, December 26, 2008

LTTE wants 8000 students for combat training

(By: Dhaneshi Yatawara)

The LTTE has called all students in Kilinochchi and Mullaitivu districts who have completed the recent GCE Ordinary Level examination to join combat training, latest military intelligence reports said.

According to these reports, over 8,000 students sat for the GCE Ordinary Level Examinations in these two districts Defence Spokesman Minister Keheliya Rambukwella told yesterday's media briefing on the current security situation.

Meanwhile reports from Northern parts stated that over 16,000 people from the Chavakachcheri area in Jaffna protested recently against Prabhakaran's activities demanding that the LTTE should give up terrorism and surrender.

"It is significant that these innocent people, aware of the reality are raising their voices in support of their own brethren trapped in Tiger clutches," Minister Rambukwella added commenting on these series of protests taking place in the Tamil community.

"Those so-called groups screaming for Human Rights must make a note of these events taking place among the civilians. These groups never protested against the LTTE terrorising people," he added.

"We doubt whether these groups ever bothered to send even a loaf of bread to these innocent people," he lamented.

"In addition, certain groups are trying to create a chaotic situation in the local political scene to undermine the military victories in the North," the Minister said.

He stated that it was pathetic to find that certain media and political groups seeking satisfaction by highlighting the losses our Security Forces' face.

Army Task Force 3 captures LTTE airstrip - North of Ampakamam

Sri Lanka Army Task Force 3 troops found an airstrip built by the LTTE terrorists from a jungle area south of Iranamadu tank this forenoon (Dec 24).

According to the battlefield sources, troops continuing their march further northwards from Ampakamam have made this discovery. The Airstrip is a 25m wide tarmac running about 350m from north to south, said the sources.

Sri Lanka Army has so far captured 3 airstrips of the LTTE during the ongoing counter terrorist operations. First airstrip was captured by the 57 Div in Panikkankulam area while the second was captured by the TF 1 in the Nivil area. The LTTE is the one and the only terrorist organization in the world to develop aerial capability. Defence observers are in the view that the latitude given to the LTTE sympathizers by certain countries has enabled the outfit to make a significant contribution to the global terrorism in terms tactics and weaponry.

Air Strikes on LTTE positions - Paranthan & Muhamalai

Sri Lanka Air Force has carried out 3 air strikes at LTTE positions in the Paranthan and Muhamalai area this morning (Dec 24).

According to the air force sources, air force jets have pounded LTTE gatherings in Paranthan at 8 AM and 10 AM respectively. Separately, another air strike has been carried out targeting LTTE defence line in Muhamalai at 10 AM.

Operational sources have confirmed that the targets have been accurately hit.

Soldier killed, 5 including 2 civilians injured in claymore explosion- Vavuniya

A soldier was reported killed and 5 others injured including 2 civilian by-passers during an LTTE claymore mine explosion in general area Sundarapuram, Vavuniya, Wednesday (Dec 24) at around 1.20p.m.

The claymore mine was triggered targeting an Army foot patrol, security sources said adding that the injured civilians were traveling in a tractor. The injured civilians and soldiers were admitted to the general hospital at Vavuniya, security sources said.

WFP dispatches largest food convoy since October to the Wanni region

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) has delivered the largest food consignment since October to the non liberated areas in Kilinochchi and Mullaittivu districts yesterday (Dec 23). The WFP in press release said that a vehicle convoy carrying 870 tons of food had reached Puthukkudiyuruppu. The WFP is considered to be the world's largest humanitarian agency and the UN's frontline agency for hunger solutions. Next year, WFP plans to feed 98 million people in 77 countries.

The full text of the statement:

The United Nations World Food Programme (WFE) today completed its largest delivery of food to internally displaced persons (IDPs) in the Vanni region northern Sri Lanka since humanitarian convoys began delivering food in October. The convoy delivered 870 tons of food, enough to feed over 230,000 people for a week, to Puthukkudiyiruppu.

Since the beginning of the food convoy operations, WFP - in co-operation with the Government of Sri Lanka and other stakeholders - has dispatched a total of 4,990 tons of mixed food commodities to meet the food needs of an estimated 200,000 to 230,000 IDPs. In addition, a total of 781 tons of rice, locally procured by WEP in the Vanni, is part of the overall food distribution.

Although WFP planned to send 750 tons of food weekly, delays because of technical, administrative and weather-related constraints (security, bad road condititions, flooding) have prevented the full requirements to be met.

WFP is fully committed to continuing the regular dispatches of convoys to the Vanni to ensure that the IDP needs are met, and is receiving consistent support from all stakeholders. This convoy was the eighth to be sent to the Vanni, A ninth one is under preparation with 829 tons of food - enough to feed about 230,000 people for one week.

WFP provides food assistance to 1.1 million people in Sri Lanka, including IDPs, school children and other vulnerable people.

9 civilians seek protection with security forces - Mullaittivu

9 civilians including 2 men, 3 women, a boy and 3 girls have sought protection with security forces in the recently liberated Otiyamalai area, at Welioya in Mullaittivu, Tuesday (Dec 23).

The civilians have fled from the non-liberated Mullaittivu District fearing severe reprisal from the LTTE, military sources said.

The Human Rights watch last week accused the LTTE terrorists of stepping up forced recruitment and child conscription in the non-liberated territory. These civilians are also used as human shields, the HRW further stated in the report.

"Trapped in the LTTE's iron fist, ordinary Tamils are forcibly recruited as fighters and forced to engage in dangerous labor near the front lines," HRW Asia Director Brad Adams was quoted saying.

"By refusing to allow people their basic rights to freedom of movement, the LTTE has trapped hundreds of thousands of civilians in a dangerous war zone," he further said.

59 Div troops expand FDL at Kumulamunai: 4 terrorists killed, 9 wounded

The established forward defence line (FDL) at Kumulamunai was further expanded, as troops of the 59 Division made fresh advances into LTTE held territory since early morning on Tuesday (Dec 23), Wanni security sources said.

A soldier was also reported injured during the initial clashes with LTTE, according to sources. The terrorists had regrouped and made successive attempts to regain the loss territory but were left with defeat including soaring battle casualties, ground sources said.

Fighting continued till late evening as the valiant soldiers have reportedly expanded the defences further, the sources further added.

'Sinna-Paranthan' falls to security forces: Over 20 terrorists killed, 5 bodies recovered- Kilinochchi [Updated]

Troops of the Task Force -1 now engaged in counter terrorist offensives West of Paranthan, consolidated 300m further southwards along the LTTE built earth bund cum ditch, reportedly capturing a terror strongpoint, 'Sinna-Paranthan' this morning (Dec 23).

Latest reports received from the battlefront confirmed over 20 LTTE terrorists killed and many injured during the confrontations. Troops have recovered 5 LTTE bodies, similar number of T-56 assault riffles and an I-com set while consolidating defences in the area.

According to Army media, troops faced stiff resistance from LTTE in the battle for Sinna-Paranthan, which is located along the A-35 main road, 6km West of Paranthan Township. Farmers inhabited the village before terrorists dominated the area, the sources said adding that LTTE bunkers and trenches were built in close perimeters of the government buildings including a school and the Divisional Secretariat office.

Troops are continuing clearing operations in the area, Army sources further said.

Foreign Minister highlights destructive impact of terrorism on civilian life

"Everybody who leaves home for his or her work place expects to return home safely. However, the destructive impact of the evil force of terrorism on civilian life in Sri Lanka has meant that no longer can we take this for granted".

These remarks were made by Foreign Minister Rohitha Bogollagama at a simple function held at the Foreign Ministry today (Dec 23) to hand over Fixed Deposit Certificates, worth Rs.1.2 million to the two sons of the late Mrs. Priyani Ranasinghe, a former staff member of the Ministry who lost her life in the LTTE terrorist bomb attack on a commuter train in Dehiwala on 26th May 2008.

The Minister speaking further said that, "such incidents, unfortunately have become all too common in the country, since terrorists do not have any respect for the sanctity of human life. This is the reason that President Mahinda Rajapaksa's Government has embarked on a campaign to defeat the scourge of terrorism that has plagued the country. There are many forces, which are placing obstacles in realizing this objective. However, the Government is determined to fulfil its commitment to eradicate terrorism, in order to safeguard the lives of civilians.

Therefore, it is important that we keep reminding ourselves constantly on occasions of this nature of the cruel hand of terrorism that has robbed Sri Lanka of thousands of innocent lives".

The Foreign Minister also pointed out that terrorism had claimed the lives of two of his predecessors, Lakshman Kadirgamar and Ranjan Wijeratne, and during this year itself, two former Ambassadors, namely Major General Janaka Perera and Dr. Raja Johnpulle had fallen victim to LTTE terrorism.

Minister Bogollagama, referring to the generous financial contribution made by members of the staff of Sri Lankan Missions abroad towards the scholarship fund that has been set up for the education and welfare needs of the two children of the late Mrs. Ranasinghe, namely Ranindu Gimhan Perera Jayawardana and Thisal Anjula Perera Jayawardana, aged 13 years 9 years respectively, said that no amount of financial assistance will compensate them for the loss of their beloved mother. He thanked all staff members of the Sri Lankan Diplomatic Missions who had made personal donations towards this noble and worthwhile cause, stating that it was a tangible expression of their strong solidarity with people in distress. This is also an indication of the people oriented Foreign Policy approach of the Government. The Minister expressed his hope that Mr. Garvin Jayawardana the husband of Mrs. Ranasinghe would shoulder the responsibility of looking after the two little children, in the absence of their mother and provide them with a sound education so that they would bring credit to the family.

Mr. Jayawardana speaking on the occasion, thanked Minister Bogollagama and Mrs.Deepthi Bogollagama for their personal initiative in arranging this substantial financial assistance, which would be beneficial for his children's educational and day to day needs. He also expressed his profuse thanks to the Minister for responding promptly and taking action to obtain admission for his younger son to the Prince of Wales College, Moratuwa.

Director General/ Public Communications Division, A.M.J. Sadiq and Director General / Overseas Administration Division, W. Hettiarachchi of the Ministry also addressed the gathering. Acting Secretary, Jayantha Palipane and members of the staff of the Foreign Ministry were present on the occasion.

Intense fighting results heavy damages to LTTE - Kilinochchi

Intense fighting erupted with troops and LTTE terrorists as the troops of 57 Division and Task Force 1 continued their offensive operation to breach the LTTE built earth-bund, the final obstacle and resistance point, few Kilometers away from Kilionochchi yesterday, 22 December.

Following hours-long fighting reported in west of Paranthan, Iranamadu and Adampan area, troops have gained control over 2Km stretch breaking the LTTE's earth bund in several locations. Troops continue their operation despite heavy resistance given by the terrorists.

According to the available sources, forty-two terrorists were killed and fifty-five others were wounded in confrontations reported in 57 Division while fourteen LTTE terrorists were killed and thirty-two sustained injuries in confrontations reported in Task Force 1.

Ten army personnel have laid their lives for defending the motherland and fourty soldiers sustained injuries in intense fighting ensued breaching the LTTE-built final obstacle.